Tips for writing smart specifications during patent drafting
Patent drafting is a work of art. Your experience needs more relevant experience of drafting activities such as claim writing, drawing, etc. For the drafting of patents for a certain invention, sufficient knowledge of the techno-legal background is necessarily required.
During the drafting of a patent in the USPTO case, follow the writing tips for the patent attorney or patent agent that should be taken into account because they are very useful for writing smart specifications.
Tips for writing smart specs
1. Title of the invention
– The meaning of the title must be clear and precise.
– The length of the title should not exceed 20 words. For example, 5-7 words are often preferred for writing the title.
– The object or main purpose of the invention must be duly reflected in the title itself.
– Registered titles can be reused for new inventions.
2. Field of invention
– The subject and purpose of the invention must be clearly stated.
– The classification of the invention or technology (corresponding to its hierarchy) must be written correctly.
– It reflects the exact idea about the scope of the invention for patent examiners.
3. Background of the invention
– The analysis of advantages in comparison with pre-existing patents or previous techniques must be properly drafted.
– The background information of the invention must be clearly indicated in this part of the patent application.
4. Object of the invention
– The advantages or benefits must be described in a well-defined manner.
– The comparisons and resolved solutions of pre-existing problems related to the field of the invention must be properly discussed.
– All the objectives of the invention must be written in separate sentences.
5. Declaration of invention
This part acts as the basis for drafting claims. Gives an idea of the scope of the invention.
– Novel features and technical applications must be clearly indicated in this part of the patent application.
6. Summary of the invention
– Write about the comprehensive analysis of the invention in a brief and precise way of representation.
– Provides information on structural and functional aspects, main objectives, summary description of the entire invention and independent claims.
7. Brief description of the drawings.
– The description related to the drawings should be easy to understand.
– Always draw clean and neat markings of figures or diagrams.
8. Detailed description of the invention
– Write the complete invention in detail.
– Contains the introduction of the invention, the working mechanism, the structural composition, the uses and the novel characteristics with writings of realization.
– Indirectly covers also all other specifications.
It is the most essential part of the patent drafting. The claims directly reflect the scope of the invention.
– During the drafting of claims, always try to cover the full scope of protection.
– Independent claims must be clear and sufficient to cover a greater number of areas.
– The analysis of the landscaping invention is also useful to create new claims.
– Sufficient legal and intellectual property information for a claimant must necessarily be required.
– It is the brief overview of the entire invention.
– In general, it refers to the technical background and main objective of the invention.
– The word limit for writing the abstract should not exceed 150 words.